Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A quick chalkboard and a pretty calendar

Hi there!  Happy Wednesday, friends!

Today I'm sharing a project I did a while back but never shared.  I'd been wanting a message board for my kitchen for quite some time, but couldn't find just the right thing.  Plus I'd always prefer to make something myself, rather than purchase it!

Enter (yet again) the Habitat for Humanity thrift store!  This place is truly a bonanza of awesomeness.  On this particular day I found a huge old cabinet door that they sold me for $1.  I haven't measure it, but it's at least 24x42 inches.  To make my chalkboard I simply taped off the edges and spray-painted the center with chalkboard paint.


Oh, yes, we're having leftovers tonight.  And yes, I'm psyched about it.  Anyway, I used a soft green paint sample that I had from a previous project for the frame.  Isn't that great?!  The little hook and drawer pull are where I (usually) keep a rag and the chalk pieces, respectively.  They were actually bright 'n' brassy when I bought them (that finish was a whole dollar cheaper), so I just sprayed them with some leftover chalkboard paint.  Much, much better than supa 80's golden chic!  Sorry the picture is so crummy, but this part of my kitchen doesn't get very good lighting.


This is a very quick and easy project, with majorly useful results!  I try to write each night's menu on there before my husband gets home so he isn't constantly wondering what/if I'm feeding him that night.  Plus, that eliminates him asking out loud with the result that I answer him and the kiddos demand to eat [insert dinner items here] IMMEDIATELY or they will almost certainly perish from starvation.

The other thing I wanted to show you today is the little set-up I came up with for my wall calendar, and it's actually immediately adjacent to the chalkboard.  I bought this little calendar on Etsy (of course), and I LOVE IT.  Once the year is over, I can cut off the calendar part and have 12 gorgeous food illustrations ready for framing!  Yay :)

The calendar itself is pretty small (7.5x11 inches), so it definitely needed a support team to give it its proper oomph on my wall.  I found a great (if ugly) frame at yet another thrift store for, you guessed it, $1.  I just dry-brushed over the ugly wood with some white primer and it came out great.


I thought the little book page bunting on top was a fun touch, too.  So that's my little kitchen command center, complete with calendar and chalkboard!  I love them both, and they're both totally functional and pretty.  A great combo, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment